Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Aquatic Uncle

Am I the only one who pictures the uncle in "The Aquatic Uncle" looking a lot like Merlin in Disney's animated rendition of The Sword and the Stone? And am I the only one who was instantly reminded of Old Gregg the scaly man-fish from the television series "The Mighty Boosh"?

I loved this story. I thought that the whole evolutionary-thing was hard to picture at first, but as the story went along I opened my mind up to the realization that NONE of the characters were human. It was really hard not to imagine everyone with human qualities.

The ending was not at all what I expected. I expected the uncle to eventually leave the water and try to evolve. I did not at all expect the young girl (or whatever she is) to run away with him (ew), but I do see the point of that ending. If every fish ever jumped out of the sea and tried to become human or any other kind of mammal, I suppose, there wouldn't be any fish left! I think the author was trying to point out the fact that some people are stuck in their ways, but that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. Perhaps being stuck in their ways keeps diversity alive! What would the world be like if there were no other animals but humans since every single other animal had evolved?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home