Thursday, May 1, 2014

Oh, Look. Another Scott Westerfeld Post

Big surprise. Scott Westerfeld is one of my favorite writers. He pretty much solely writes Sci-fi distopian novels, which are my favorite kinds of novels. I purchased the first book of the series "Leviathan" years ago, and it had literally just been sitting on my shelf because I hadn't had time to read it (don't judge me). I started reading it last week and I am already so in love with the story. This series is classified under the sub-genre of Steam Punk. The writing is wonderful, as usual. Westerfeld's imagery in always so detailed and intimate. Unlike his other novels, though, Leviathan has illustrations that are just breathtaking. The setting is kind of hard to explain. Basically, if you took World War II and threw it into the future with strange creatures (Beasties) and obscure gadgets (Clankers), you would have Leviathan. Leviathan is also a love story- a forbidden love story. Alek has the whole I'm-a-king-but-I'm-not-really-a-king thing going for him, much like Aragorn from Lord of the Rings. Deryn is a badass fighter girl who is disguised as a guy (what, no equality in the future either, Westerfeld?) like Mulan, who was basically based on Sarah Edmonds who fought in the Civil War dressed as a man. The two of them are enemies (Mulan vs. Aragorn, anyone?) but they are destined to be together blah blah blah, Romeo and Juliet, blah blah blah. To be honest I'm much more interested in the machines and animals, but that might just be me.
^^^ JUST LOOK AT AL THAT STEAM-PUNKERY^^^

SO. MUCH. PUNKERY.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home